Beat 84: Now THIS is Hot Blood!
It’s at times like these where I have to wonder what sort of deity I’ve irritated to reach this point, Lloyd thought with sagging shoulders. But he perked up quickly, and focused his gaze dead ahead. But even if I’ve incurred the wrath of heaven, that’s no excuse for me to stop now. I need to figure this out. And soon.
He watched Deirdre’s stars closely. One fully dimmed; the other, well beyond half-empty. It almost looked as if some cruel cartoonist had taken his eraser to the star’s light, rubbing away every last bit of gleam -- of hope -- he could reach. Despite that, Deirdre looked remarkably calm; she’d dropped all pretenses of looking comely and seductive, and merely stood in place with crossed arms and a slight smile. If Lloyd didn’t know any better, he’d have thought she’d found inner peace.
“Better work fast, sweet cheeks,” said Deirdre. “If you don’t figure out what you’ve missed, then you’re going to have to live with the consequences.”

0 Comments